To apply for the SAGE Scholars Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a current full-time student with junior credit standing, or a first-year transfer student. If you are senior, but will be at UCI for a 5th year, you are eligible to apply.
- Have a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- File a 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a 2018-2019 California Dream Act Application (under AB 130 and AB 131), and must have an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) of $10,000 or lower.
- Work status must meet one of the following:
- U.S. Citizen
- Permanent Resident Status (a “green card”) in the U.S.
- A student with DACA Status
“EFC” stands for “Expected Family Contribution,” and reflects the amount of money that you and your parents would need to supplement, in conjunction with any grants or loans you may have, to fund your yearly college expenses. If your EFC is $10,000 or less, you are eligible to apply to the SAGE Scholars Program. You can view your EFC online by checking your account with the UCI Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
Your acceptance into the SAGE Scholars Program does not guarantee you a SAGE internship and scholarship. While students who are admitted into the program will have opportunities to interview with SAGE sponsor companies for internship positions, we strongly recommend students to manifest the skills they acquire from their experience with SAGE into searching for outside internship, work and/or research opportunities.
You are required to work full time in the summer, 40 hours per week for 10 consecutive weeks, after your first year in the program.
Then, during the academic year following the full time summer internship, you are required to work part time (up to 15 hours per week) during the fall, winter, and spring quarters.
In order to apply for the program, you must be present to participate in the group interview process. Candidates are not permitted to do individual, virtual interviews.
If you are admitted into the program and want to study abroad in the future: To remain active in the program, you must be a full-time student on campus at UC Irvine in order to attend the winter quarter class during your first year in the program. Second year SAGE students must attend a class during the fall quarter.